Delivering Total Power Solutions, when clean power is mission critical under extreme harsh conditions.
Heavy Industrial Applications such as Chemical processing, Oil, Gas & Petrochemical extraction distribution & refining, and Mining, are characterized by extreme harsh conditions including very corrosive environments, extreme temperatures, explosive atmospheres, dust, humidity, blown precipitations, high level of vibrations with very unreliable incoming power.
The modern heavy industrial industries relies on computers and other sophisticated electronic equipment and relies on RUPS™ (Rugged Uninterruptible Power Supply) to keep that equipment online under these extremely harsh environments, with application-specific regulatory requirements including stringent safety regulations. Electrical variance, surges, spikes, sags, and interruptions can cause communication breakdown and data loss that are critical for running complexes processes that do not accept any power failure. Furthermore, very high reliability and low maintenance (long product life) are vital.
Chemical Industry RUPS™ Key Requirements
The main concern for RUPS going into chemical applications is to ensure reliable operation while keeping downtimes to a minimum, enabling suppliers to meet tight deadlines and demand with quality products. It is therefore imperative that chemical processes maintain uninterrupted power by employing UPS onto mechanical equipment, electronic equipment, instrumentation and controls, which automate and control operational variables such as flow rates, tank levels, pressures, temperatures and machine speeds running continuous processes within the plant. UPS keeps disturbances or reliability issues in the main power supply from shutting down compressors, turbines, generators, main process pumps, motors, heat exchangers, programmable logic controllers (PLCs), robotics, factory automation equipment, conveying equipment and other computer-based control systems, which could interrupt chemical processes, causing substantial safety, environmental or financial consequences. Should a plant lose power for an extended period of time, UPSs are required to backup critical plant equipment that must maintain power long enough to follow a sequential shut down procedure for safety reasons.
Oil, Gas, & Petrochemical Industry RUPS™ Key Requirement
UPS backing up the equipment used in oil and gas applications must provide reliability, availability and safety to meet the industry’s strict requirements. UPS going into oil and gas applications have similar features and uses as those used in chemical applications, because of the similar harsh environments they face. Petrochemical plants, in particular, are similar to chemical plants, and have nearly identical uses and features of UPS backing up equipment and processes. Some key differences, however, are in the UPS going into offshore applications. Such UPS must be rated for marine environments, compact, cost-effective, efficient and must have minimal impact on the environment.
Mining Industry RUPS™ Key Requirement
Mining environments present a number of challenges due to the diverse range of hazards that can be encountered, including moisture, high temperatures and humidity, extreme dust and debris, high altitudes, vibration, unstable power and frequent voltage fluctuations from the stopping and starting of large mining equipment. As a result, equipment used in mining applications are certified for use in hazardous environments and be able to withstand these harsh conditions. UPS are important in mining applications to provide safety, reliability and protection to equipment operations to keep installation, maintenance and downtime to a minimum. Environmental monitoring and air ventilation systems require UPS to provide mineworkers a vital level of safety and protection from dangerous toxins and gases that can be present in mines. With most machinery being controlled remotely, it is also imperative that the machinery and corresponding automation, instrumentation and control systems maintain continuous power in order to keep processes running efficiently.
Acumentrics technology is based on over 20 years of experience in delivering trusted, reliable and rugged back up power solutions to military specifications.
From the start, Acumentrics designed and manufactured in the USA, the Rugged-UPS™ to provide clean AC or DC power supply in harsh environments, including dust, rain, wind, heat, cold, humidity, anti-fungal, corrosion, vibration & shock and blowing sand. Our 1 kW and 2 kW UPS units are trusted worldwide in both military and industrial applications. Today, Acumentrics RUPS has an extensive portfolio of rugged power electronics products including Rugged-UPS™, power conditioners and power accessories, that can be mounted in 19" cabinets and in transit cases, with over 65,000 units, in particular, deployed globally for Military Mobile, Communications applications, Sheltered and Portable UAVs Ground Control Stations, ships board and submarines and heavy Industrial applications such as Tidal Power Plants.
In addition to the Rugged UPS family of products compliant to MIL Standards, Acumentrics’ COTS Select™ UPS combines affordability with enhanced features designed to withstand shock and vibration while offering a higher level of performance than typical COTS products. COTS Select Products are tested to UL1778 Standard. Its ruggedized design features conformal coated circuit cards for improved performance in humid conditions and robustly mounted components offer advancements over standard COTS UPS devices.
Acumentrics RUPS Unique Technology offer:
- Flo-Thru™ Technology – Unique heat exchanger tunnel design and environmental EMI gasket sealed enclosure provides maximum protection for internal components from the damaging effects of blown precipitation, moisture, airborne particles, and other contaminants in the operating environment. Advanced fan controls provide the correct airflow for cooling, while minimizing noise and fan life.
- True Worldwide Input™ – Compatibility with global voltages and frequencies source — AC from 40 to 440 Hertz and 80-265 volts, plus DC from 20 to 32 volts. The UPS then can output pure 50 or 60 cycles AC at 110 or 230 volts, and DC at 12, 24, 28, or 48 volts.
- Power Factor Correction – Seamless active power-factor correction and clean, reliable AC or DC power, provides high efficiency.
- User Replaceable Battery Pack – Rapid hot-swap field replacement.
- On-line Double Conversion – Creation of DC voltage which is then converted to the needed AC or DC output voltage, protecting sensitive equipment from common power problems that can harm your computers and corrupt your data like: power failure (a total loss of input utility power), power sag (short-term low voltage), power surge (spike), under-voltage (brownout), over-voltage, line noise (high frequency waveform caused by RFI or EMI interference), frequency variance (a change in frequency stability), switching transient (instantaneous under-voltage - notch), harmonic distortion (distortion of the normal waveform generally transmitted by nonlinear loads) [reference IEEE E-0505]
- LFP Battery Pack Chemistry – Direct replacement of Lead Acid Battery Packs allows a much longer cycle and calendar life, with a long storage life even at high temperatures. Higher temperature range, much lighter than lead acid and maintenance free allows high energy applications with a much smaller total cost of ownership. Crush, fire and bullet penetration testing has been performed to simulate combat situations. Test results indicate that Acumentrics’ LFP Battery Packs remain intact and demonstrated only minimal reactions to these extremely abusive conditions.
Acumentrics, Inc., headquartered in Walpole, Massachusetts, has been a trusted market leader in RUPS™ (rugged AC and DC uninterruptible power sources) for harsh and combat environments as well as heavy-duty industrial applications, since 1994. RUPS™ products provide clean power conditioning and battery backup when reliability is mission-critical. Acumentrics, is a preferred supplier of US-made power electronics to many of the world’s largest prime defense contractors.
Acumentrics, Inc. USA design and manufacturing teams are experts at delivering Total Power Solutions, when clean power is mission critical under extreme harsh conditions. Whatever your power system needs are, from RUPS™ electrical performance, rugged connectivity, cables, backplanes, PDU, transit cases, racks, battery technology and their associated chargers for high energy or high power applications and communication interfaces, Acumentrics will adapt its offerings to your requirements, as it has done to many of the world’s largest prime defense contractors and heavy industrial manufacturers.
Acumentrics customers worldwide include General Dynamics, Rockwell, Raytheon, General Atomics, AAI Textron,ComTech, L-3 Communications, Lockheed Martin Corporation, SAIC, CACI, BAE Systems, OpenHydro, and the United States military including the Coast Guard, Army, Navy, USMC and Air Force.